STAMP 4Se Guides
Test Taker Guides
What is computer-adaptive testing? ▼
Avant STAMP4Se is computer-adaptive, meaning that the level of question difficulty that a student is presented with is based on the number of correct answers they have logged so far in the assessment. The testing engine automatically adapts to each student's level-up or down-as the test progresses. This approach was pioneered at Avant Assessment, the first company to develop commercial-grade, multi-stage, computer-adaptive tests for language learning, beginning in 2001.
What is Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Avant STAMP (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) 4Se determines language proficiency in 4 domains (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking) for grades 2-6. Avant STAMP 4Se is web-based and computer-adaptive, with real-world questions on topics selected to be level-appropriate based on research into topics taught at each level. The questions engage learners, and because STAMP 4Se is adaptive, students are able to demonstrate their own actual proficiency level without any pre-set upper limits. Avant STAMP 4Se was originally developed as the NOELLA test by a consortium of six state Foreign Language Supervisors, the Center for Applied Linguistics, and the Center for Applied Second Language Studies at the University of Oregon and funded by the US Department of Education. Avant STAMP 4Se has been validated by field testing and expert panels. It is a secure test that requires a proctor during administration.
Who uses Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Avant STAMP 4Se helps elementary educators monitor progress and evaluate programs, empowering informed decision-making around staff development and instructional planning. This web-based and computer-adaptive test is used by both Immersion and FLES programs across the nation to engage students while determining their foreign language proficiency and generating meaningful data that indicates how they would perform in the real world.
What grade levels are appropriate for Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Avant STAMP 4Se is targeted for learners in grades 2 through 6.
What languages are offered in Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Avant STAMP 4Se (grades K-6) is available in Arabic, Cantonese, English, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified & Traditional), Portuguese (coming soon), Russian, and Spanish.
How long does it take to complete Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
On average, it takes approximately 80-90 minutes to complete Avant STAMP 4Se. Avant STAMP 4Se is not timed, and students may pause and resume the assessment at any point. Estimated Avant STAMP 4Se completion times by domain:
- Reading: 25-35 minutes
- Writing: 15-20 minutes
- Listening: 25-30 minutes
- Speaking: 15-20 minutes
How many questions will Test Takers encounter on Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Reading: approximately 30 multiple choice questions Writing: 2 prompts Listening: approximately 30 multiple choice questions Speaking: 2 prompts
When will I receive Avant STAMP 4Se results? ▼
Reading and Listening scores are available as soon as the test taker completes each section. Be sure to refresh the page for updates.
Writing and Speaking scores are typically available in 5 to 7 business days. Scores may be available sooner, so check the test results screen periodically to determine the grading progress.
How are testing results accessed? ▼
All data are accessed via results viewing accounts, available at the following levels:
District/organization-wide Allows access to Avant STAMP 4Se testing results for all testing groups within the organization (usually school district or university)
School/sub-organization-wide Allows access to testing results for all testing groups within the sub-organization (usually school or university department)
Class/Testing Group Allows access to Avant STAMP 4Se testing results for all test takers associated with a specific testing group
How often are the Avant STAMP items updated? ▼
Reading section / Listening section
- Approximately 15 - 25% of the items a student comes across will be refreshed on a yearly basis. For languages with fewer test takers, this percentage will be closer to the lower range, whereas for major languages it will be closer to the upper range.
- As part of the yearly refresh, the position of some items in the test will change, to reduce the amount of exposure of some items in the test.
- Statistical analysis of item and test characteristics will take place yearly, for every test, to ensure the consistent high reliability of the STAMP assessments.
- Given the real-time adaptive nature of the STAMP test (not fixed form), as students increase in proficiency year after year they will naturally come across different items as well.
Writing & Speaking sections
- 100% of all prompts in the operational test are refreshed in December of every year. Old prompts are retired and new ones are introduced into operational test.
- Refresh serves to reduce item exposure and ensure that test takers experience different tasks and scenarios each year, thus increasing engagement.
What results reports are available? ▼
- Individual Reports - Individual reports show the Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking levels attained on the Avant STAMP 4Se for each test taker. The individual reports communicate in clear, direct language what test takers at each level are generally able to do. Each test taker's report has a scoring graphic for each section of the test. This inverted pyramid has a yellow-shaded area that depicts the level attained. For the Writing and Speaking sections, click on the Sample 1 or Sample 2 link to read or hear the test taker's actual response for each specific prompt. This can be done at any time after the response has been submitted.
- Line Item Summary Download - The line item summary download creates a Microsoft Excel file that includes student profile information along with the individual's test results and other test-taking data. From the Excel spreadsheet, you can create a customized report with the fields you want, and sort it however you would like.
- Summary Chart Download - In many cases, a screen print of the summary charts on the test results screen will meet your needs for graphical presentation of the summary information. However, if you prefer to create a different style of chart or graph, the summary chart download makes it easy to create a Microsoft Excel file with the information from the summary charts.
What are the System requirements? ▼
Please see our Assessment Technology Guide for more information.
What are the headset requirements? ▼
We strongly recommend using headsets that completely cover the ears, blocking out much of the surrounding sound, with built-in microphones. Smaller earbuds or foam headsets that sit on top of the ear will not produce the best results in terms of sound quality.
Please see our Headset Guide for more information.
How are writing samples submitted for languages with accents and special characters? ▼
All of Avant's assessments include a Writing section in which learners will need to provide typed writing samples. The method for inputting the language sample may differ, depending on the target language for the test.
Please see our Writing Input Guide for language-specific directions.
What does Avant STAMP 4Se cost? ▼
For pricing information or to make a purchase, please call our Sales Team at +1 (888) 731-7887 or email us at email@example.com
How do I order Avant STAMP 4Se? ▼
Contact your Account Representative or our Sales Team at: (888) 731-7887 within the United States, or +1 (541) 338-9090 from outside the United States, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will prepare a price quote for you outlining the details of the purchase arrangement
Sign and return the Price Quote. Once the signed Price Quote has been received, we will email a Set-Up Form to you to organize your testing groups and testing dates
Return the completed Set-up Form to Avant
An Avant Support Representative will use the Set-Up Form information to create testing codes and assist you with preparing your networks and computer labs
Please plan to allow 2 weeks for test code processing whenever possible
Do you provide a guideline for teachers and administration? ▼
Avant has several resources that were designed to help prepare administrators and Test Takers for the testing experience.
Please review the STAMP 4Se Assessment Resources.
Does Avant provide support during testing? ▼
Our client support specialists are available for immediate testing support and can be reached via email or phone.
Email: email@example.com Phone: 1-888-713-7887 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday - Friday 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Saturday
Is Professional Development available? ▼
Yes! Avant provides onsite or online Professional Development offerings to help educators and administrators integrate our assessment solutions into curriculum, learn how to interpret data for program evaluation, and to improve learning outcomes.
Contact us if you are interested in Professional Development: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 1-888-731-7887